Average Rating: 4.666666TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + soaking Bake: 50 min. + cooling
YIELD: 16 servings.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 jar (12 ounces) blackberry jam or 1 cup homemade blackberry jam
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1. Soak raisins in pineapple and juice several hours or overnight.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add jam and buttermilk; beat until well blended. Sift together dry ingredients; add to batter. Beat on low just until combined. Stir in the raisins, pineapple and pecans.
- 3. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- 4. For icing, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cool just until warm; beat in enough confectioners' sugar for icing to reach spreading consistency. Add more sugar for thicker icing or more milk to thin it. Frost cooled cake.
1 slice: 694 calories, 30g fat (15g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 105g carbohydrate (83g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.