Average Rating: 4TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
YIELD: 8 servings.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- 2. Place on a baking sheet; bake until edges are light golden brown, 15 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour and salt. Gradually stir in buttermilk and vanilla.
- 4. Sprinkle pecans into crust; add filling. Bake until center is set, 50-60 minutes. Cover top loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- 5. Cool completely on a wire rack. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Serve or refrigerate within 2 hours.
1 piece: 591 calories, 35g fat (16g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.