Average Rating: 5TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 65 min. + cooling
YIELD: 8 servings.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup cold shortening
- 5 to 7 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup dried currants or raisins
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 6 medium baking apples, such as Fuji or Braeburn (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk or heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a disk; wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine currants and rum; let stand for 20 minutes.
- 3. Place 3/4 cup cranberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor; pulse until cranberries are coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the apples, tapioca, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, remaining sugar and currant mixture; toss to combine. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 4. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling.
- 5. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; if desired flute edge. Place remaining cranberries in spaces between lattice strips.
- 6. For egg wash, in a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In another bowl, whisk egg and milk; brush over lattice top. Sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- 7. Bake on a lower oven rack at 400° for 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- 8. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes; serve warm.
1 piece: 508 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.