Average Rating: 3.2TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
YIELD: 8 servings.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups plain yogurt
- Hot cooked basmati rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. Select saute setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker and adjust for medium heat; add oil. Cook onion until tender. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in seasonings and cook 30 seconds. Press cancel. Add chicken, tomato puree, water, jalapeno and bay leaf.
- 2. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high and for 10 minutes. Quick-release pressure. Discard bay leaf.
- 3. Select saute setting and adjust for medium heat; bring mixture to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and yogurt until smooth; gradually stir into sauce. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve with rice. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
1 cup chicken mixture (calculated without rice): 279 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 856mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.