Average Rating: 4.586206TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + chilling
YIELD: 2 pies (8 servings each).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Place crust in plates; trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate. Flute edges.
- 2. For filling, beat eggs in a large bowl. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cloves, nutmeg and ginger; beat just until combined. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into crusts.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes longer. Cool pies on wire racks for 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
- 4. If desired, use additional pie crust to make decorations.
- 5. For Pumpkins: Roll a small amount of pie dough into a ball; score sides of ball with the blunt side of a knife to create ridges. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, flatten slightly and insert a whole clove to make the stem. Refrigerate until firm. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 400° until light golden brown and baked through, 15-20 minutes.
- 6. For Vines: Roll out pie dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut narrow strips of dough in various lengths. Lay strips on parchment-lined baking sheet and shape into coils as desired. Refrigerate until firm. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 400° until light golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- 7. For Leaves: Roll pie dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut out leaves using mini leaf-shaped cutters. Using a knife, score leaves to create veins. Refrigerate until firm. Brush with beaten egg and bake at 400° until light golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- 8. Arrange baked pumpkins, vines and leaves on surface of chilled pie.
1 slice: 321 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.