Average Rating: 3TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
YIELD: 5 waffles (about 6-3/4 in.).
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1-3/4 cups cake flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Chocolate sprinkles or fresh mint, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until serving.
- 2. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg yolks and milk until blended. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- 3. In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until set.
- 4. Serve waffles with whipped cream and pie filling. If desired, top with sprinkles or fresh mint.
1 serving: 706 calories, 32g fat (16g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.