Average Rating: 4.631578TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
YIELD: 8 servings.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- 2. Bake until bottom is lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until golden brown, 5-8 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in water and orange juice. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick). Remove from heat.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, butter, and lemon and orange zests.
- 5. For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- 6. Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue over filling, sealing to edge of crust; swirl top with the back of a spoon.
- 7. Bake until meringue is golden brown, 13-16 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 piece: 415 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.