Average Rating: 5TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min.+ standing
YIELD: 8 servings.
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 medium apples, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 6 medium onions, sliced (about 5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups frozen pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup cherry juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; brown roast on all sides. Add apples and apple juice to pan. Bake, uncovered, 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in pork reads 145°, basting occasionally with pan juices.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onions and the remaining salt and pepper; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 35-40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- 3. Remove roast and apples to a serving plate; tent with foil. Let roast stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- 4. Skim fat from pork pan juices. Place over medium-high heat; add vinegar and cook 1 minute, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in cherries and cherry juice. Bring to a boil; cook 10-15 minutes or until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup. Serve pork, apples and onions with cherry glaze.
1 serving: 387 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.