Average Rating: 2.5TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
YIELD: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed French onion soup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 9 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh thyme, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions; saute until tender. Add sugar; cook and stir until lightly browned. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the broth, soup and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- 2. Meanwhile, place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Sprinkle with mozzarella; broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a cheese toast. If desired, top with chopped fresh thyme.
1 cup: 192 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 875mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.