Average Rating: 4.714285TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
YIELD: about 2 dozen.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce or meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large shallow dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow dish, beat eggs and water. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow dish. Add mushrooms to the flour mixture; turn to coat. Dip in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a deep saucepan, electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry mushrooms, six to eight at a time, for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. Pour spaghetti sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with the mushrooms. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
1 mushroom: 111 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.