Average Rating: 4.3TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min. + cooling
YIELD: 1 loaf (16 slices).
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 4 cups shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in milk. Add the butter, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat egg and yolk; stir in cheese. Punch down dough; roll into a 16-in. circle.
- 4. Place in a greased 10-in. cast-iron skillet or 9-in. round baking pan, letting dough drape over the edges. Spoon the cheese mixture into center of dough. Gather dough up over filling in 1-1/2-in. pleats. Gently squeeze pleats together at top and twist to make a topknot. Let rise 10-15 minutes.
- 5. Brush loaf with egg white. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
1 slice: 273 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.