Average Rating: 4TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. + releasing
YIELD: 16 servings.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum, optional
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) French bread
- Yellow mustard, optional
- 16 dill pickle slices
- 1-1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli ham
- 1-1/2 pounds Swiss cheese, sliced
- 1. Cut pork into 2-in.-thick pieces; season with salt and pepper. Select saute or browning setting on a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Adjust for medium heat; add oil. When oil is hot, brown pork in batches, removing from pressure cooker.
- 2. Add orange and lime juices, stirring to scrape browned bits from bottom of cooker. Add garlic, rum if desired, coriander, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Return pork and any collected juices to cooker. Press cancel.
- 3. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 25 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. Remove roast; when cool enough to handle, shred with 2 forks. Remove 1 cup cooking liquid from cooker; add to pork and toss together.
- 4. Cut each loaf of bread in half lengthwise. If desired, spread mustard over cut sides of bread. Layer bottom halves of bread with pickles, pork, ham and cheese. Replace tops. Cut each loaf into 8 slices.
1 sandwich: 573 calories, 28g fat (12g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 1240mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 45g protein.