Average Rating: 4.75TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 55 min. + standing
YIELD: 8 servings (3 cups applesauce).
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (2 to 3 pounds), halved
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 medium Golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1. In a large shallow dish, combine the first 5 ingredients. Add pork; turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Place pork roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up. Roast until a thermometer reads 145°, 55-65 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, rosemary and salt; cook until apples are tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Stir in water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until apples are very soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; mash apples to desired consistency.
- 5. Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with warm applesauce.
3 ounces cooked pork with 1/3 cup applesauce: 287 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 581mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.